Written by Scott Campbell.
Published at 17:00 GMT on Thursday, 8th November 2012.
Cumbernauld fire crews shut off Forest Road after gas cylinder van caught fire

Picture is copyright of Strathclyde Fire aand Rescue.

CUMBERNAULD’S Forest Road has been reopened after fire crews attended a danger scene whereby a van carrying dangerous has cylinders caught fire.


Crews from Cumbernauld Community Fire Station took swift action to protect the public when a van carrying acetylene cylinders caught fire in North Lanarkshire shortly before noon today (Thursday, November 8).


Arriving within minutes and finding the van well alight, firefighters immediately established an exclusion zone and evacuated nearby buildings while police closed Forest Road. Strathclyde Fire & Rescue doused the van with water and successfully prevented an explosion.


The van was reported to be carrying cylinders containing oxy-acetylene – a chemical that is highly volatile when exposed to heat or flame.  It also carried a number of other substances with the potential to ignite.


Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to monitor the contents of the van and determine if the heat inside was likely to cause the chemicals to explode.  After an hour of drenching the vehicle with water, the fire service was able to narrow the exclusion zone.


Watch Commander Spence of Strathclyde Fire & Rescue explained: “We have a well-rehearsed procedure for dealing with incidents involving acetylene. Our crews reacted immediately to ensure the safety of the public and minimise the chance of the cylinders exploding.


“Our first priority was to set up cordons a safe distance from the incident, shut down the roads and get people out of the surrounding buildings. Firefighters are still on the scene and will remain there until specialists from the company owning the cylinders are able to safely remove them.”





Like and Follow Us  
News reel
Like and Follow Us